Oct 6, 2008

Vazhaipoo Kuzhambu

Vazhaipoo is Banana flower in tamil . Each part
of the banana tree is so good for health ..right
from the leaf , stem , flower , plantain and the
ripe banana..My grandpa had a farm full of
banana trees..So we have loads of vazhaipoo
at grandma's place..We make this kuzhambu
similar like Fish curry.
Ingredients
Vazhaipoo - 2
Shallots - 5
cumin powder - 2 tblsp
chilli powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tblsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
Method
  • Peel the flower layer by layer.The flowers of outer layers can be used for making vada.
  • Once the inner layer comes collect the flowers.

  • Cut the center piece into half.
  • Clean the flower in butter milk .
  • In a vessel boil a cup of water and 1/2 tsp salt.
  • Cook the flowers in the water for 2 min.
  • Remove the flowers from the water.
  • Grind shallots to a coarse paste.
  • To this add all the other ingredients and 1/2 cup of water.
  • Allow it to boil. When it starts boil add the Cooked vazhaipoo.
  • Cook in the low medium flame till the gravy comes together and oil separates.
  • Serve with rice.

16 comments:

Uma said...

ooh, this looks so delicious Kamala!

Unknown said...

Amma too makes this similar to meen kuzhambu..Looks delicious..Long since I had this..

Cham said...

I never made Vazhaipoo kuzhambu but very familiar with fish Gravy, well I should get soon the vazhaipoo :) Tasty Kuzhambu Kamala:)

Sujatha said...

I've never heard of vazhaipoo kuzhambu.. I usually make poriyal or vadais with vazhaipoo.. the recipe sounds delicious and ofcourse the picture too.. bookmarked :)

Mrs.Kannan said...

It's really a different recipe for me..never heard of it..vazhiapoo in a kuzhambu?Great Recipe Kamala

ST said...

Looks sooo delicious and healthy too...

Nirmala said...

This one is new to me. Since u have said "fish cury" type am going to ask amma to make this for me soon :)

Shreya said...

Hi this looks yum! never knew of vazhaipoo curry form as in kuzhambu.. really nice:-)

Laavanya said...

Oh I've not heard of this before but sounds yummy. I only make paruppu usli or vadai with it the few times I've bought it.

Deepthi Shankar said...

very yummy ... simple comfort food

Sangeeth said...

i like vada made with this but kozhambhu is not my thing! i cry like a kid to eat it!

Priyanka said...

That looks delicious..have heard so much about it but never tasted it. btw, where did you find the banana flowers?

Pravs said...

love banana flower dishes. Got to try with this gravy. Nice kuzhambu.

Bhawana said...

This looks good to me, I never saw banana flower Kamala. wud u tell me whr I can find them? how they look. I have seen many recipes made with flowers. Looks tasty, really.

PG CakeCraft said...

hi ur vazhaipoo kuzhambu looks so yummy i'll definetly try this recipe coz my elder luvs to eat this healthy vegetable.

Prema Sundar said...

Vaazhai poo kuzhambu looks great .. I have one in my blog too. But the prep is different. One of my cousin used to make it this way.